Tuesday, February 17, 2015

News analysis

I am not an avid watcher of the news. Before this assignment I can't remember the last time I actually sat down and didn't change the channel when the news was on. The most news that I keep up with is the crime section of Foxnews.com. I know it's not the most accurate place to find my news but the crime news is the only thing that interests me and their website is easier to use in my opinion. As I was watching the news this week I noticed that there was a lot of talk of Isis and what the next president should do to handle these situations. There was also conversation about  the way that black males in the US have to deal with a larger amount of police encounters than most white males. Most of the episodes that I watched had this kind of negative spotlight on a majority of the things they were talking about unless it was just one of those feel good stories chosen to make the audience smile. I feel like their goal was to touch a nerve in the audience that would impact greatly. So it makes sense for them to talk about topics that are viewed negatively as an attempt to connect to the viewers. I feel like people are naturally attracted to drama or violence so these news stations know that they can hold their attention with the rougher topics of discussion such as racism or terrorist attacks. I also noticed that some of the guests on this show had a way of delivering information while also letting the audience know if they agree or disagree with it based on the tone of their voice. The news is still delivered but the way it is delivered is altered in a way to have a greater emotional impact on the viewers.

No comments:

Post a Comment