Monday, January 26, 2015

Literacy

What do you think a "literate" person is able to do? What is "literacy"? Are there different types? How can/should we agree on the definition of literacy? What are YOUR strengths as a writer/thinker/literate person? What are your weaknesses? 


I think that a "literate" person is someone who is able to understand and make sense of information that is presented to them through text. According to Google, the term "literacy" means the ability to read and write. However, a second definition also states that literacy can also be knowledge in a specified area. After our previous class discussion about literacy I can definitely agree with this second definition as well. I do believe that there can be different types of literacy throughout the world. For example, a mechanic can be considered to be literate because of his knowledge of cars. They are considered to be the expert when it comes to situations with vehicles. Someone who is good with computers or technology can be considered to be literate in that subject. I believe that we can agree that "literacy" should not be limited to only being able to read and write but it can also mean that a person has vast knowledge about a certain subject.

I would consider my greatest strength as a writer to probably be my creative writing ability. I took a class here at Tech with Dennis Covington and realized just how much I enjoy creative writing. I love the freedom of being able to create my own world and being able to control how things unfold. I feel like my ability to create a realistic environment with all the details I include is my greatest strength.
My weaknesses as a writer would probably be my use of commas and semicolons. I tend to over think them too much and usually just confuse myself when it comes to punctuation of that type. I also have a tendency to overlook some small errors in my papers. Sometimes it's a random word that I forgot to delete after editing a sentence or two words will be swapped incorrectly and my brain will skim over it without catching the mistake.

No comments:

Post a Comment